Day Thirteen: Wiring the LED’s!
Some troubles with the LED’s so far:
- Adding too much solder
- Breaking the wires caused the lights to dim; may be a problem with the soldering or the switch, still not sure which.
- When all of the lights are turned on the gem gives off a dark purple-ish blue light rather than light purple
- Accidentally bending the pins caused the LEDs to dim; need to figure out if it’s a problem with the pins or soldering, though I suspect the pins because the wires were wrapped up in electrical tape at the time and probably wouldn’t have come loose (?)
Lessons learned from this experience:
- Grabbing a soldering iron with your bare hand is a really dumb thing to do
- Copper wire conducts a lot of heat which makes it hard to work with (or maybe it’s that the jacket didn’t insulate much of it)
- A small bit of solder goes a long way
- The white LED is much brighter than the purple and blue ones